There are a whopping 11 games on the docket for tonight. Check out NHL.com for the full list, but here are some of the highlights. First, the nationally televised game on Versus, the Sabres take on the Flyers. In a battle of division leaders, Calgary visits New Jersey. With playoff positioning on the line, Florida travels to Pittsburgh to face the red hot Penguins. Also on the list, the Sharks will try to exact revenge on the Wild after their embarrassing 4-3 OT Loss.
- The Minnesota State High School hockey tournament starts tomorrow. Follow the Puck has the brackets for you. The Class A bracket can be found here and the Class AA bracket can be found here. Also, for a complete preview of the state tournament, check out MN Hockey Hub’s State Playoff Headquarters.
- Puck Daddy has a look at “Stickgate 2009.” Apparently a skinny stick blade is a dangerous, dangerous thing. *Insert That’s What She Said joke here.*
- A sad day in the NHL. Gary Roberts officially announces his retirement.
- NHL.com has a good look at the standings “If the playoffs started today.” Is it just me or does the Eastern conference match ups for the first round look much, much more compelling than the Western conference match ups?
- Let the speculation begin. Brent Sutter may leave the Devils after this season? It would be a sad day for New Jersey, as Sutter has turned them into one of the more exciting franchises in the league to watch.
- The Star-Tribune has a couple good hits on the Wild. First, Mike Russo spotlights the team’s inconsistent play. Then, Jacques Lemaire says the Wild didn’t miss suspended enforcer, Derek Boogaard, much. Ouch.
- A great indictment of the current NHL point system by Kevin in Pennsylvania on Hitting the Post.
- The Hockey News has whittled the best masks in the NHL down to two. Really? Vesa Toskala and Miikka Kiprusoff? I guess given the competition, it’s not too bad…
- Speaking of the Hockey News, Spector has a nice look at the trades that didn’t happen on D-Day.
- From 5hole.com, probably the best Sean Avery-based sign ever made.
- Jeff Paterson has an interesting look at the playoff picture in the West. Meanwhile, James Mirtle adds his two cents on the issue.
- Per Kent Youngblood of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune; Marian Gaborik will join the Wild on their upcoming trip to Colorado.
That’s all for now. Enjoy and make sure you check back for my thoughts on the San Jose/Minnesota tilt tonight!